If you have a Facebook page for your business, you may want to think twice about enabling reviews. While using Facebook to promote your business, the business reviews functionality could hurt more than help. There are tight restrictions on what you can and can’t do with them. For example, you can’t review or remove bad reviews.
There Is No Moderation of Facebook Reviews
As strange as it may seem, Facebook has no way for business owners to moderate reviews of their business. There is no approval or review process and there is no way to remove a review once it is posted. Astounding to many business owners is that Facebook has no way to verify that a person is are a customer of your business before they post a review. Anyone with a Facebook account can post a review of any business on Facebook.
Options For Dealing with Bad Reviews
If you have already enabled reviews and find that you have bad reviews, you have three options for dealing with them:
- Respond to the review. Be positive and address the user’s issues directly. Remember that your conversation is taking place in a public forum.
- Bury the review. Encourage customers that like you or have provided you with positive reviews to post them to your Facebook business reviews. Be patient, it may take a while to push it down.
- Disable Reviews. Although you can’t delete the bad press, you can remove ALL of the reviews by disabling the business reviews functionality.
How to Enable/Disable Reviews
Enabling and disabling business reviews if fairly simple. Here is a step-by-step guide:
- Log in to your Facebook admin account
- Edit Page
- Edit Page Info
- Click on “address”
- Check or uncheck the box under the map
- Save you change
Need help with Facebook or managing a public relations problem? We can help.